Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Seawinkle



Seawinkle was released in the first set of adult Sea Ponies, during Year 2 of G1 production; she is sort of an aqua blue color with seafoam green eyes and a light purple mane.  Since they do not have hooves, Sea Ponies have a slightly flattened bit on the bottoms of their tails where you will find their "hoof stamp."  Seawinkle's reads "©'84 Hasbro H.K. / Pat. Pend."

I always forget the Sea Ponies were introduced so early, and I'm always a little sad there weren't more of them produced.  There are a handful of baby sea pony sets, but only two sets of adult sea ponies. Poor sea ponies, not getting the love they deserve.



Sea Ponies did not have symbols, but they had colored accents on their fins; Seawinkle's fin tips are a lilacy purple.  I suppose since ponies' symbols were painted on their flanks, and sea ponies don't have flanks, Hasbro had not figured on a good place to put a symbol.  They did manage some more creative symbol placements for later sets, so I wish we could have seen some more creative adult sea ponies during those later years, but alas...

I don't have any of her accessories, as I got my Seawinkle secondhand at an antique shop for $5 USD.  I hope to get her shell stand one day, but for now I've discovered that sherry glasses make an excellent display option (as you can see from my photos, above).  Originally, Seawinkle came with a pink clam shell stand, a shell-shaped brush, a shell-shaped comb, and I believe a yellow ribbon; the brush and comb came in either pink or blue, but whether this was a random factory difference or a regional difference, I'm not sure.

Scan from contributor Breyer600 on My Little Wiki
Seawinkle's backcard has been uploaded to My Little Wiki, and you can see it above.  Her story reads:
Seawinkle dove off the dock, swam through the crystal clear blue water, and hopped aboard her new little sailboat.  "Seashell" she shouted, "Come take a sail with me!"  So Seashell swam out to the boat for a ride.  The wind was brisk and the little boat skimmed quickly across the calm blue water.  The two friends sailed on and on, returning home only when the sun was sinking low into the horizon.
What a sea pony would be doing on a dock or why she would need a boat is beyond me, but crazy nonsense is a running theme as far as My Little Pony backcard stories are concerned.  That is a huge part of their charm for me, though.  Seashell is a favorite pony of mine, so her being such good friends with Seawinkle makes me like this sea pony even more than I already did.

Sea Ponies have long been a favorite of mine,  although I only ever had one of the babies when I was a child.  Because she's my first adult sea pony, Seawinkle will always be very special to me.

Is Seawinkle a part of your collection?  Tell me about her in the comments!

Click the Fact Cloud to view it larger!

No comments:

Post a Comment